Showcase Season is Here!!
I always consider April as the official start of Showcase Season! This is the month where a lot of the details, events, and extras will start to make an appearance including Picture Day and the opportunity to order your Showcase T-Shirts, Flowers, and Program Ads. I hope everyone had a relaxing and restful Spring Break because it’s full throttle from now to June 4th.
I say that somewhat jokingly as I truly try to make these next two months go as smoothly and as stress-free for you and your child as possible. If you can read through this newsletter, mark dates in you calendar, be sure to read any e-mails from the studio that come your way, and check the chalkboard in the lobby for reminders and updates every time you come in, that will truly help to ensure we are all on the same page and prepared for all the excitement to come.
Once again I want to stress how important it is for your child to be in class over these last 8 weeks. I know this is a very busy time on spring sports, school events and all fronts – in addition to spring allergy and cold season. I know it’s sometimes just not possible to be in class and I completely understand, but just try to keep in mind that dance is a team sport and the whole class is counting on having the full team at each rehearsal!
Also, as the weather gets warmer, please remember to make sure your child is dressed appropriately for class and girls have their hair pulled back in a ponytail (bun for ballet) and loose hairs are completely out of the face.
We will be making some wonderful memories over the next two months. Be sure to enjoy and cherish all the sweet moments to come!
We have two upcoming community performances this spring. For the 3rd year in a row we will be performing at the East Meets West Festival on Saturday, April 16 and new this year we have also been invited to perform at the Town of Morrisville’s SpringFest on Saturday, May 14. Here’s a list of classes that will be performing at each Festival. I will also be sending out an e-mail to each class with additional information as we get closer to each performance.
EAST MEETS WEST – Saturday, April 16 at 2pm
- Open Arts Performance Company
- Monday 4:30 K/1 Ballet/Tap
- Tuesday 5:30pm K/1 Ballet/Tap
- Wednesday 7:30pm Level II Musical Theater
- Thursday 6:00pm Level I/II Musical Theater
- Saturday 10:15am K/1 Ballet/Tap
SPRINGFEST – Saturday, May 14 at 6pm
- Open Arts Performance Company
- Tuesday 4:45pm K/1 Musical Theater
- Tuesday 6:30pm Level I Musical Theater
- Tuesday 6:30pm Level II Ballet
- Wednesday 4:45pm K/1 Ballet/Tap
- Wednesday 6:30pm Level II Jazz
- Wednesday 7:30pm Level II Musical Theater
We will be sending home Pre-Registration information in class this week. I am so excited to share our 4th season of dance, music, and yoga classes with you. We have some fun new options for each age level and have made some adjustments to continue to offer you the best arts education possible!
Pre-Registration is a special benefit of our currently enrolled students and families. You have the opportunity to register for classes BEFORE we open registration to the public on May 1st and you also save $10 off the registration fee.
I know August seems like a long ways away, but I strongly encourage all of our families to register NOW to ensure you get your first choice of classes, days, and times!
Fill out your pre-registration form and turn it in to Lindsay at the front desk or send me an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your enrollment preferences.
I feel VERY honored that you choose to have us as a part of your child’s life. Thank you!
FREE Mom’s Night Out
Pound Fitness Event
Ok Moms, this event is for YOU! Open Arts Mom, Samantha Purcell, is bringing the POUND workout to Open Arts next season and we want to give you a FREE class to try it out now.
POUND is a full body cardio jam session, combining light resistance with constant simulated drumming. The workout fuses cardio, Pilates, isometric movements, plyometric and isometric poses into a 45 minute series. Burn between 400-900 calories per hour. Strengthen and sculpt infrequently used muscles and drum your way to a leaner, slimmer physique, all while rocking out to your favorite music!
Our FREE Mom’s Night Out Event will be Sunday, May 1st at 4pm. We’ll be offering FREE child care and have a FREE glass of wine for you to enjoy after your workout, too! It’s the perfect time to treat yourself during the busy Showcase Season and did we mention… it’s all FREE? Come get sweaty with me!
Performance Company Auditions
We will be holding auditions to select new members to join the Open Arts Performance Company for the 2016-2017 Season. Auditions will be held on Saturday, May 21st at 3pm at the studio. Here are a few things you need to know:
- Auditions are open to students who will be 9 or older by September 1st, 2016
- Students will be required to wear leotard and tights only and have hair in a bun to the audition. Bring ballet or jazz shoes or dance in your bare feet.
- The audition will include elements of jazz, ballet, and modern dance.
- If selected, Company members are required to take at least TWO DANCE TECHNIQUE Classes during the 2016-2017 season chosen from ballet, jazz, and modern. They are also required to take at least one 4-week session summer class or participate in the Art in Motion or Music Video Dance Stars Summer Camp.
The purpose of the Open Arts Performance Company is to provide a performance and community-based training program for dancers who would like to take a more serious pathway with their dance education. Multiple weekly technique classes, choreography work, performance opportunities, and dance in community service are all parts of being a well-rounded pre-professional dancer and a member of the Open Arts Performance Company. Company members are expected to represent our studio and make their company requirements and expectations a top priority.
Showcase 2016 – Natural Wonders
Here are all of the latest updates for our Natural Wonders Showcase. Please be sure you have bookmarked and visited our Showcase Page on the website. This page is always a great one to refer to when you have questions about the schedule, performances, costumes, and anything Showcase related.
- SHOWCASE FEES are due on April 15th. $30 per child performing in the Showcase. This fee helps us off-set the high costs of producing the show, renting the theater, and paying the professional technical staff. It also includes TWO FREE Tickets to the show, which you can pick-up at the Will Call booth at Duke during Dress Rehearsal or before your show.
- PICTURE DAY is Saturday, April 23rd. Please arrive at the studio in FULL COSTUME. You may style your child’s hair and do make-up in any way you choose for Picture Day. Don’t forget your dance shoes! Ballet/Tap Combination Classes will take their group picture in their Ballet Costume. You can bring tap shoes/skirts if you’d like for your individual picture. We are on a tight schedule so please be sure you are on time. You will be able to purchase Picture Packages at the front desk in the lobby when you arrive. If you can’t make it to your scheduled time but still want to get individual pictures made to purchase you can come anytime during the day and we will squeeze you in. You can download the full schedule of all Showcase Date and Times listed by Class, see it on our website, and there are printed schedules posted on bright paper in the lobby.
- Pre-Order your SHOWCASE T-SHIRTS and FLOWERS online through our Square Store or at the front desk. Showcase T-Shirts will be heather brown with blue and green ink featuring the official Showcase artwork drawn by Open Arts student Addie Burge on the front and a list of all students’ names on the back. Shirts are $15 plus tax and are available via pre-order ONLY! Deadline to order shirts is April 23rd. Flower Bouquets are three roses (assorted colors) with greenery and baby’s breath and can be picked-up in the lobby at the Showcase – one less thing to worry about the day of the show! Bouquets are $10 plus tax.Deadline to order flowers is May 15th.
- Once again we will be selling SHOWCASE PROGRAM ADS for you to promote your business or give a shout-out to your favorite dancer! We will have copies of the order form at the front desk or you can read all of the details and place your order online via the Square Store. Please feel free to share with local businesses that you think might be interested as well. We are happy to design your ad for you – just provide the text and images you’d like for us to include.Deadline for Showcase Ads in April 23rd.
- We will need several CLASS MOMS (and a dad for our Boys Hip-Hop Class) to be backstage to help watch dancers during the show, change costumes and shoes, and help in many ways. Please send me an e-mail if you are interested in helping out. All Backstage Volunteers MUST attend our mandatory Volunteer Meeting on Thursday, May 19th at 7:30pm. We will also post sign-ups in the lobby towards the end of the month.
I also encourage families to check out our Showcase 101 Board on Pinterest. I’m always adding to it and have collected a nice variety of hair and make-up tutorials, performance tips and tricks, and other gems that are nice to find and have.
If your child is in BOTH the 11am and 3pm Shows, please know that ALL students and families will be required to leave the theater between shows. Page Auditorium is directly beside the Bryan Student Center where you can sit in comfy couches, grab a snack or lunch, and relax between shows. The Duke Gardens are also within walking distance of the Auditorium, and Durham’s 9th Street is a 5 minute drive away with a variety of restaurants. There are lots of options of places to relax and decompress between the shows. If you need suggestions of things to do please let me know!
As we get into Showcase Season, make sure you keep us in the loop of your own journey by using the hashtags#OpenArtsShowcase and#NaturalWonders
May is Spirit Month
Our 2nd annual Open Arts Spirit Month will once again be in May, during the last 4 weeks leading up to the Showcase! Join in the excitement and show your Open Arts pride by participating in our Spirit Month Themes each week:
- May 2nd-7th – Excessive Accessories – Wear as many necklaces, bracelets, hats, gloves, earrings, hair ties, etc as you can!
- May 9th-14th – Animal Kingdom– Dress-up as your favorite member of the animal kingdom for a truly WILD week.
- May 16th-21st – Earth Tones – Dress all in ONE color to represent the beautiful colors of our natural wonders. All pink, all blue, all red – the color choice is yours – then wear as many items of clothing in that one color as you can.
- May 23rd-28th – Showcase Ts – Wear your Showcase T-Shirt to the LAST class of the season to help us generate as much excitement as we can for the BEST Showcase Ever!!
Important Dates + Upcoming Events
- Saturday, April 2 – Showcase Character Rehearsal 12:30-2:30pm
- Sunday, April 3 – Kaleidoscope Charter High School 5K 9am
- April 15 – $30 Showcase Fee Due
- Saturday, April 16 – East Meets West Festival – Perform at 2pm
- Sunday, April 17 – CEO Production Number Rehearsal 2-4pm
- Saturday, April 23 – Picture Day –Download Schedule Here or See the Schedule in Lobby
- Saturday, April 23 – Showcase Ads + Tshirt Order Deadline
- Saturday, April 30 – Showcase Character Rehearsal 12:30-2:30pm
- Sunday, May 1 – FREE Mom’s Night Out Pound Class 4-5pm
- Saturday, May 7 – CEO Production Number Rehearsal 12:30-2:30pm
- Saturday, May 14 – Morrisville SpringFest – Perform at 6pm
- Sunday, May 15 – Showcase Flowers Order Deadline
- Thursday, May 19 – Showcase Volunteer Meeting 7:30pm
- Saturday, May 21 – Showcase Character + CEO Production Number Rehearsal 12:30-2:30pm
- Saturday, May 21 – Performance Company Auditions 3pm
- Saturday, May 28 – LAST DAY OF CLASSES FOR 2015-2016 SEASON
- Tuesday, May 31 and Wednesday, June 1 – In-Studio Rehearsals – Download Schedule Here or See the Schedule in Lobby
- Friday, June 3 – Dress Rehearsal at Page Auditorium
- Saturday, June 4 – End of Year Showcase at Page Auditorium