FROM THE DIRECTOR
Click the video for a run-down of the newsletter with me 🙂 – or read on to see all that we have in store at Open Arts this month!
Here we are. APRIL. The official month to kick-off Showcase season. We start the month with Showcase Orders – T-Shirts, Flowers, DVDs, Program Ads – and end it with all the excitement of Picture Day! I can never quite believe that Showcase Season is upon us, but it is indeed, my friends, and I couldn’t be more excited. And in the midst of everything else, we also begin Pre-Registration for our 2017-2018 Season this month as well! The April Newsletter is always one of the most important of the entire season, and this year is no different – so much so that I even had to split the Newsletter into TWO separate e-mails. I apologize for the length, but please be sure to read through it and jot down important dates and reminders. Be sure to be one of the cool kids in the “know” this Showcase Season and let’s get ready for the BEST. SHOWCASE. EVER!
During these last several weeks leading up to the Showcase, please keep in mind that attendance in class is so very important. Dance is truly a team sport. We so greatly rely on having everyone here and together when we are creating a dance and preparing for performance. I know this is also a very busy time with spring sports, school events, and track-out/spring break trips, but we truly appreciate you making every effort to ensure as consistent attendance for your child as possible.
Congratulations to Sonali Schroeder for a fantastic job serving on the Costume Committee for Green Hope High School’s production of Tarzan, Charlotte Hague for performing in her school’s music program, and to Jordana Burge for auditioning and being selected to sing the National Anthem at a Durham Bulls Game this summer. I love sharing great news about our students, so please be sure to let me know what’s going on in your dancer’s life!
Just another quick reminder that our Mobile App, which you can download from the Google Play Store and theApple Store, is the easiest way to register for classes and events, make payments, update your account AND receive push notification for studio events and reminders. In addition, we also have our new Google Calendar, which you can sync to your own calendar so you’ll never miss an Open Arts event again.
Here’s to the most informed, most fun, super-fantastic-amazing Showcase Season yet! See you at the studio soon. xo
OPEN ARTS PERFORMANCE COMPANY AUDITIONS
All current Open Arts students who will be 10 by September 1st are invited to audition for the Open Arts Performance Company. Auditions will be held on Saturday, May 6th from 2-3pm. Dancers interested in auditioning will need to wear a Leotard and Tights ONLY with hair in a bun. Bring ballet shoes if you have them for a barre warm-up and we will do a modern sequence and combination in our bare feet.
If you’re thinking about auditioning this year, here are a few things to consider:
- OAPC Members must take at least 2 dance technique classes a week and one class must be ballet.
- OAPC Members are required to take a 4-week dance class or dance-based camp each summer.
- OAPC Rehearsals will take place on Thursdays from 7:15-8:30pm next season.
The Open Arts Performance Company is designed to maximize the individual’s dance and performance training through intensive study, performance opportunities and community service. OAPC Members participate in several community events, performances, and fundraisers each season and are expected to make their participation in the company a top priority. If you have any questions about the experience, audition, or requirements, please let Ms. Maia know.
SHOWCASE T-SHIRTS + FLOWERS + PROGRAM ADS + DVDS
We are excited to unveil our 2017 Showcase T-Shirt! Each season, we design a limited edition shirt to commemorate our Showcase with the names of all of our dancers on the back. We are also adding a Tank option for adults this year, which won’t have the names on the back, making it a great option for parents and family who want to support their favorite dancers and the show.
In addition, we are also beginning to pre-order Flower Bouquets, which you can pick-up at the theater (one less thing to worry about the day of the show!), Program Shout-Outs and Ads, and Showcase DVDS.
In an effort to streamline the process for ordering these items this year, we have two simple ways to order:
- Pick-up the yellow SHOWCASE EXTRAS Order Form in the Lobby. Select the items you wish to order and drop-off at the front desk with your payment (if you’re not having us charge your account). No need to do all the math – we can figure the total out for you!
- Order all of your items online from our SQUARE STORE. You will need to provide a credit card to order from the online store.
Please note that each item has a different deadline, so you don’t have to order everything at once, but we’ve tried to make it as easy as possible to do so! T-Shirt , Tank and Program Ads are due by APRIL 22nd – Artwork for Ads due April 29th. Flower Orders are due by MAY 15th. And DVD Orders are due by Dress Rehearsal on JUNE 2nd.
PICTURE DAY 101
Picture Day is Saturday, April 29th. You can check your Showcase Details Sheet for your child’s time or see the schedule in the Lobby. If you are unable to make it during your child’s scheduled time but would still like to have pictures made, feel free to drop-in any time before 3pm and we will squeeze you in. There is no requirement to attend or purchase pictures, but we will be using the group pictures in our Showcase Program Books, so we hope you will be able to join us.
You can choose from the following picture packages:
- PACKAGE A – $35 – (1) 8×10, (2) 5×7, (8) Wallets
- PACKAGE B – $55 – (2) 8X10, (4) 5×7, (8) Wallets
- DIGITAL – $20 – (1) High Quality Digital Download
- Add an 8×10 of the Group Photo for $5 (Digital), $10 (Print), $20 (w/o package)
Here are some important things to keep in mind for Picture Day.
- Be sure to arrive a few minutes early if you’d like to purchase a picture package.
- Arrive in FULL COSTUME with hair and make-up completed and don’t forget any hair pieces and/or dance shoes. You may style your child’s hair and make-up in any way you choose for picture day.
- Ballet/Tap Combination Classes will wear their BALLET costume and shoes for the group pictures. You are welcome to use either costume/shoes for your individual pictures.
- We cannot split packages between multiple shots. If you’d like to purchase just one package, consider doing a sibling picture all together.
- You will pay the photographer directly, which means you MUST bring CASH OR CHECK ONLY. If you forget, we will be able to accept credit, but there will be a $5 surcharge to cover processing fees and transferring payment to the photographer.
- Space will be limited, especially during the morning hours when our Saturday Classes are in session. Please be mindful and bring as few people and “things” as possible into the studio 🙂 Thank so everyone’s patience and understanding!
Lastly, please respect the photographer and her business by keeping all cameras and cell phones out of the studio. DO NOT take pictures of your child while s/he is posing – you can take those pictures outside, at home, etc. If the weather is nice, we will set-up a special photo booth outside and can’t wait to see your pictures – be sure to use the hashtag #iheartopenarts
Over the next few weeks we will be sending home materials for our Priority Pre-Registration. Every season, we invite our current families to register early, before we open registration to the public, so you can have the first choice of classes, days, and times. Thank you to everyone who provided feedback through the Online Survey. I loved hearing your ideas, concerns, and suggestions. Creating a schedule that meets everyone’s needs is, as you all know, simply impossible, but I want you to know that I did read your responses and I have tried to incorporate as many key requests as possible (except for the bigger lobby… we have to wait for that until the next expansion – ha! – but I promise I hear you on that, too!).
Here’s a few key points about Priority Pre-Registration you need to know:
- There is a $20 Returning Student Registration Fee due at the time of registration ($10 each additional child, $40 for families of 3 or more)
- We have highlighted the suggested Level(s) for your child. Choose a class or classes in which you’d like to enroll, turn in your form to the front desk, and you’re all set! If you have payment information on file, we will charge the registration fee for you. If not, please include payment with your form.
- In order to best serve all of our families, we have added Placement Classes to some styles and levels. If your child has been recommended for a Placement Class and you’d like to register him/her for it, please note that all Placement Class students will be required to register for a summer dance class or dance-based camp or attend at least (4) four drop-in classes in order to continue their training over the summer.
- I know August seems a long way away, but if you’d like to return next season, it’s best to register for the class you think might best fit your schedule NOW as we cannot guarantee any spots once we open registration to the public.
We will open registration to the public on May 1st. So please try to get your Pre-Registration forms in before then. As always, let me know if you have any questions.
Showcase Handbooks and Details Sheets went home in February. All of the information in these items can also be found on our Showcase Page on the website, which I will continue to update with additional information and links as they become available. We also have all Showcase schedules, order forms, and related items posted in the Lobby as soon as you enter – by the Super Shoutout Wall.
#Super is going to be such a fun show to put together and showcase our incredible students. Here are a few things to keep in mind this month:
- The Showcase Fee ($30 per student) is due April 15th. This fee helps cover the costs of renting the theater and paying the Duke Production staff. It also includes TWO TICKETS to the show. Additional tickets will be available for purchase beginning in May through the Duke University Box Office.
- You will receive TWO TICKETS per child for the show they are performing in.
- Children 3 and under will not need a ticket but they will need to sit in your lap so as not to take a seat from others.
- The final costumes are arriving within the next few weeks. If you do not have a costume by Mid-April, please be sure to let Ms. Maia know so we can try to fix any shipping or order issues before picture day.
- If you have your costume already, be sure to get it hanging appropriately before Picture Day so all wrinkles and creases can get smoothed out. Tutus should hang upside down. Other costumes/skirts can be steamed but should NOT be ironed.
- We will need several backstage Showcase Volunteers. If you’re interested in sharing in this special experience with your child and our wonderful students, please send me an e-mail to let me know. We will be reaching out in May to fill all of our volunteer needs.
- NEW THIS YEAR – Our Pre-School and Kinder Dancers will have their Dress Rehearsal prior to their show time on Saturday. This means they will not come to Page Auditorium onFriday, June 2nd. They will arrive 90 minutes prior to show time on Saturday, June 3rd.
- Be sure to get all of your Showcase Items (T-Shirt, Flowers, Program Ads, DVDs) ordered by the deadline. Program Ad and DVDs have hard deadlines in order to adhere with our print deadlines!
Here’s a quick look at what’s coming up at Open Arts
- April 9-15 – SPRING BREAK – Studio Closed/No Classes
- April 15 – $30 Showcase Fee Due
- April 22 – 4:00-6:00pm – Winter Workshop Weekend Rehearsal
- April 22 – TSHIRT + PROGRAM ADS DUE
- April 23 – 2:00-4:00p – Winter Workshop Weekend Rehearsal
- April 29 – Picture Day
Times and Details on the Showcase Page
- April 29 – PROGRAM AD ARTWORK DUE
- May 6 – 11:30-12:30pm – Disney Rehearsal
- May 6 – 2:00-3:00pm – Open Arts Performance Company Auditions
- May 13 – 11:30am-1:30pm – Winter Workshop Weekend Rehearsal
- May 13 – OAPC Performs at Morrisville SPRINGFEST
Time and Details TBA
- May 15 – SHOWCASE FLOWER ORDERS DUE
- May 18 – 7:00pm – Showcase Volunteer Meeting
- May 27 – Last Day of Classes
- May 30-June 1 – In-Studio Rehearsals
Times and Details on the Showcase Page
- June 2 – Dress Rehearsal at Page Auditorium
- June 2 – SHOWCASE DVD ORDERS DUE
- June 3 – End of Year Showcase