After such a beautiful weekend, I am so excited to start thinking about welcoming spring, longer days, more sunshine, and the approach of all the excitement that comes with preparing for our 3rd annual end of year Showcase. While I know June 4th seems way off into the distance, we have just 13 weeks before Showcase Week – it will be here before we know it!
Speaking of the Showcase, most classes will begin working on their dances for the performance in the next few weeks. Attendance at your class from now until the end of the season is VERY important as it’s always challenging to set a piece with students missing and it takes away crucial rehearsal time when we have to go back and re-teach material. Obviously, we know life happens – kids get sick and spring is full of extra obligations with school, sports, and work – but we appreciate your efforts to make dance class a priority we move into the spring. Also, as your child’s class begins to work on Showcase material, we will e-mail you a link to the song file so your child can begin practicing at home. Thank you for encouraging your child to practice and be responsible in learning and rehearsing new material.
I’d like to congratulate Sonali Schroeder and Ella Strunk on a fantastic performance in their school musical, “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown,” last month. We also had a wonderful time dancing and creating memories with families during our Little Sweethearts Dance. During the month of February we also had students from Heartwood Montessori in Cary visit the studio each week to learn about the elements of dance and create a dance piece to review, represent, and expand their learning of their Folktales Unit. They shared their final performance at their school last Friday.
The following newsletter has some very important information about upcoming community performances, spring break, and Showcase updates. Please be sure you read through the entire newsletter. I am looking forward to a wonderful (warm and sunny) spring!
Snow Make-up Day
We will host a make-up day for classes that had be cancelled due to the snow/ice on Sunday, March 13th. If you cannot make it to your scheduled make-up day or time you are always welcome to attend another class in your child’s age group as a make-up. You can see the full schedule online.
- 2:00-2:45pm – Monday 5:15pm Pre-School Ballet/Tap and Saturday 9:30am Pre-School Ballet/Tap
- 2:45-3:30pm – Monday 4:30pm K/1 Ballet/Tap and Saturday 10:15am K/1 Ballet/Tap
- 3:30-4:15pm – Monday 6:15pm Boys Hip-Hop, Monday 7pm Level I Jazz, and Saturday 11:00am Level I Jazz
Kids Night Out – March 19th
The Open Arts Performance Company is hosting a very special and extremely fun Spring-Themed Kids Night Out on Saturday, March 19th from 4-9pm. This event is a fundraiser to support our Performance Company kids who are raising money to purchase costumes and support travel for future performances. They are working hard to plan several activities throughout the evening including crafts, games, dance and creative play, dinner, a movie, an easter egg hunt, and a popcorn bar! Here’s what you need to know:
- Kids can stay for 1 hour or more! Drop off kids in the afternoon so you can run some errands, or enjoy a quiet night out (or at home) while the kids are having a blast with us.
- Rates are $10 per kid per hour.
- Kids ages 3 and up are welcome. Activities will be available for a variety of ages. Help support your local dancers and spread the word to your neighborhood friends and families!
- To help us plan accordingly, please sign-up at the front desk or by sending an e-mail to email@example.com to let us know what time(s) you will be bringing your child. See the schedule below to help you plan your evening.
4:00-5:00pm – Dance + Creative Play + Games
5:00-6:00pm – Arts and Crafts
6:00-6:30pm – Easter Egg Hunt + Fun
6:30-8:00pm – Dinner + Movie + Popcorn Buffet
8:00-9:00pm – Dance + Creative Play + Games
Kaleidoscope Charter High School 5K
We are thrilled to be a sponsor for Morrisville’s Kaleidoscope Charter High School’s very first 5K Fun Run and Walk on Sunday, April 3rd at 9am at the Indian Creek Trailhead and Park on Town Hall Dr. Kaleidsocope Charter High School is scheduled to open in August 2017 and we can’t wait to have an ARTS and technology based high school option for kids here in Morrisville.
We’ll have a booth out at the event but we also want YOU to join our team and WALK with us (don’t worry, I don’t run unless I’m being chased by something horrible :)) Of course, if you’d like to run you’re welcome, too! If you’d like to join our team, please register for the race online. You can register for just $25 when you register as a part of a team. When registering, select “5K – Team” (if you’d like to race) or “WA – Team” (if you’re just walking/jogging/having fun) at the top of the form and type-in “Open Arts” as your Family or Corporate Team. You can also register at the event but the fees are higher.
Registration begins at 8am and the “race” begins at 9am. We will wear any Open Arts gear – hoodies, t-shirts, old showcase tees – you might have with the brightest pants you can find (tie dye leggings anyone?!?!). This is a great way to get outside, celebrate a healthy lifestyle with your family, spend time with your Open Arts family, AND support a wonderful cause at the same time. I really hope you will join us!
Summer Camps + Classes
Today is the final day to take advantage of our BUY ONE GET ONE 50% OFF Deal for all of our Summer Camps. Buy one camp per family and get the second 50% off. You must register prior to midnight on February 29, 2016 to take advantage of this special offer.
Our popular summer drop-in classes are back this summer as well, but this year you have the option of registering for a class from the entire session to save big! Register for an additional class for the same student to save even more.
Summer is also a great time for new families to try out our studio so please feel free to take some extra brochures with you (we’ll have them in the lobby) or forward the online link to your friends who might be interested in trying something new. You can download thesummer brochure or visit our website for a full listing of camps and classes and to register online.
We have two upcoming community performances this spring. For the 3rd year in a row we will be performing at the East Meets West Festival on Saturday, April 16 and new this year we have also been invited to perform at the Town of Morrisville’s SpringFest on Saturday, May 14. Here’s a list of classes that will be performing at each Festival. I will also be sending out an e-mail to each class with additional information as we get closer to each performance.
EAST MEETS WEST – Saturday, April 16 at 2pm
- Open Arts Performance Company
- Monday 4:30 K/1 Ballet/Tap
- Tuesday 5:30pm K/1 Ballet/Tap
- Wednesday 7:30pm Level II Musical Theater
- Thursday 6:00pm Level I/II Musical Theater
- Saturday 10:15am K/1 Ballet/Tap
SPRINGFEST – Saturday, May 14 at 6pm
- Open Arts Performance Company
- Tuesday 4:45pm K/1 Musical Theater
- Tuesday 6:30pm Level I Musical Theater
- Tuesday 6:30pm Level II Ballet
- Wednesday 4:45pm K/1 Ballet/Tap
- Wednesday 6:30pm Level II Jazz
- Wednesday 7:30pm Level II Musical Theater
Performance Company Auditions
We will be holding auditions to select new members to join the Open Arts Performance Company for the 2016-2017 Season. Auditions will be held on Saturday, May 21st at 3pm at the studio. Here are a few things you need to know:
- Auditions are open to students who will be 9 or older by September 1st, 2016
- Students will be required to wear leotard and tights only and have hair in a bun to the audition. Bring ballet or jazz shoes or dance in your bare feet.
- The audition will include elements of jazz, ballet, and modern dance.
- If selected, Company members are required to take at least TWO DANCE TECHNIQUE Classes during the 2016-2017 season chosen from ballet, jazz, and modern. They are also required to take at least one 4-week session summer class or participate in the Art in Motion or Music Video Dance Stars Summer Camp.
The purpose of the Open Arts Performance Company is to provide a performance and community-based training program for dancers who would like to take a more serious pathway with their dance education. Multiple weekly technique classes, choreography work, performance opportunities, and dance in community service are all parts of being a well-rounded pre-professional dancer and a member of the Open Arts Performance Company. Company members are expected to represent our studio and make their company requirements and expectations a top priority.
Showcase 2016 – Natural Wonders
I am slowly beginning to add dates, forms, schedules, and additional SHOWCASE information to ourShowcase Page on the website. This page is always a great one to have bookmarked and refer to when you have questions about the schedule, performances, costumes, and anything Showcase related.
The first Showcase Dates on our radar are April 15 – when the $30 Showcase Fee per student is due and April 23 – Picture Day! You can download the full schedule of all Showcase Date and Times listed by Class, see it on our website, and there are printed schedules posted on bright paper in the lobby.
I also encourage families to check out our Showcase 101 Board on Pinterest. I’m always adding to it and have collected a nice variety of hair and make-up tutorials, performance tips and tricks, and other gems that are nice to find and have.
As we get into Showcase Season, make sure you keep us in the loop of your own journey by using the hashtags #OpenArtsShowcase and #NaturalWonders
Important Dates + Upcoming Events
- Sunday, March 13 – Snow Make-up Day for Saturday + Monday Classes
- Saturday, March 19 – Kids Night Out Fundraiser for Open Arts Performance Company 4-9pm
- March 26-April 1 – Spring Break – NO CLASSES
- Sunday, April 3 – Kaleidoscope Charter High School 5K 9am
- April 15 – $30 Showcase Fee Due
- Saturday, April 16 – East Meets West Festival – Perform at 2pm
- Saturday, April 23 – Picture Day –Download Schedule Here or See the Schedule in Lobby
- Saturday, May 14 – Morrisville SpringFest – Perform at 6pm
- Thursday, May 19 – Showcase Volunteer Meeting 7:30pm
- Saturday, May 21 – Performance Company Auditions 3pm
- Saturday, May 28 – LAST DAY OF CLASSES FOR 2015-2016 SEASON
- Tuesday, May 31 and Wednesday, June 1 – In-Studio Rehearsals – Download Schedule Here or See the Schedule in Lobby
- Friday, June 3 – Dress Rehearsal at Page Auditorium
- Saturday, June 4 – End of Year Showcase at Page Auditorium