FROM THE DIRECTOR
Click the video for a run-down of the newsletter with me 🙂 – or read on to see all that we have in store at Open Arts this month!
Like it or not, seems like SPRING is here!!! Usually, at this point in the year, I am dreaming of warm sunny days, not actually living them. Hard to complain, I guess. 🙂 Also hard to believe we are just 3 months away from the end of our 4th season and another fantastic Showcase. These next few months will be FULL of events, memories, and fun. Be sure you take the time to enjoy each and every one of them.
During these months leading up to the Showcase, please keep in mind that attendance in class is so very important. Dance is truly a team sport. We so greatly rely on having everyone here and together when we are creating a dance and preparing for performance. I know this is also a very busy time with spring sports, school events, and track-out/spring break trips, but we truly appreciate you making every effort to ensure as consistent attendance for your child as possible.
Congratulations to Nethalia Jimenez and Ella Strunck for performing in their middle school musicals in February and to Claire Vienneau who will be traveling to Florida to perform with her school’s choir at Universal Studios. I love sharing good news about our students, so please be sure you share your child’s performances and achievements with me!
Thank you to everyone who has been helping us keep our lobby straightened up and welcoming for all of our guests. And for continuing to adhere to our DRESS CODE each week.
Just another quick reminder that our Mobile App, which you can download from the Google Play Store and the Apple Store, is the easiest way to register for classes and events, make payments, update your account AND receive push notification for studio events and reminders. In addition, we also have our new Google Calendar, which you can sync to your own calendar so you’ll never miss an Open Arts event again.
Here’s to spring blooms and sunny skies! See you at the studio soon. xo
SUMMER STARDUST – SUMMER CAMPS AND CLASSES 2017
We are excited to share our 2017 Summer Camps and Classes Schedule with you. Cue the stardust. Our summer will be full of fun and fancy with half-day camps, evening camps, and the return of our drop-in summer classes. Be sure to pick-up your Summer Stardust Booklet in the studio lobby. No sure what summer camp or class your child might be most interested in? We will be spotlighting several of our summer themes at our Summer Stardust Kids Night Out on March 18th. More detail are listed below.
KIDS NIGHT OUT
Kids Night Out returns on Saturday, March 18th from 4-8pm. Kids ages 3 and up are invited to join us and rates are $10/hour. Bring the kids early to get some afternoon errands run, later for a quiet date night, or treat yourself and have them stay for the entire evening! All proceeds will benefit the Open Arts Performance Company.
The theme for this year’s event is “Summer Stardust,” celebrating our 2017 Summer Camps and Classes. We’ll be pretending it’s summer all night long, with beach balls, luau parties, sno-cones, activities from our camps and classes, dinner, and a movie!
- 4:00-4:30pm – Hooray for Hollywood Camp Theme Craft
- 4:30-5:00pm – Musical Theater Production Camp – Theater Games
- 5:00-5:30pm – SnoCone Break + Beach Party Luau
- 5:30-6:00pm – So You Think You Can Dance – Learn + Perform a Dance
- 6:00-6:30pm – Pizza Dinner
- 6:30-8:00pm – Movie Time + Popcorn Bar
Reservations are REQUIRED to help us plan accordingly. You can reserve your child’s spot by registering for “Kids Night Out” Event on our Mobile App or via the Event Calendar. You can also send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the times your child will be attending or let us know at the front desk and we can register your child for you.
Showcase Handbooks and Details Sheets went home with all students last month. If you are new to our studio, we sent home our entire Showcase Handbook. Be sure to read your book as it will help make your first showcase experience a smooth and successful one. Returning families received the Showcase Details Sheet with all of your rehearsal, picture, and performance times highlighted. Please be sure you have all of these dates and times in your calendars. Our performances will be on Saturday, June 3rd with Dress Rehearsal on Friday, June 2nd at Page Auditorium on Duke University’s Campus. In-Studio Rehearsals will take place that Tuesday and Wednesday.
Full details are also available on our Showcase Page on the website, which I will continue to update with additional information and links as they become available. #Super is going to be such a fun show to put together and showcase our incredible students. Here are a few things to keep in mind this month:
- Some Showcase Costumes are still coming in. ALL Costumes should be here by the end of April.
- If you have your costume already, be sure to get it hanging appropriately before Picture Day so all wrinkles and creases can get smoothed out. Tutus should hang upside down. Other costumes/skirts can be steamed but should NOT be ironed.
- Picture Day is April 29th. Unfortunately we are not able to schedule a make-up day. We will have additional information about picture day and picture packages available in the April Newsletter. Even if you are not planning on purchasing pictures, we hope you will come so your child can be featured in the group picture. Can’t make it to your scheduled time but still want to get individual pictures made? Come when you can and we will work you in!
- We will need several backstage Showcase Volunteers. If you’re interested in sharing in this special experience with your child and our wonderful students, please send me an e-mail to let me know. We will be reaching out in May to fill all of our volunteer needs.
- NEW THIS YEAR – Our Pre-School and Kinder Dancers will have their Dress Rehearsal prior to their show time on Saturday. This means they will not come to Page Auditorium on Friday, June 2nd. They will arrive 90 minutes prior to show time on Saturday, June 3rd. You will drop your child off with our volunteers. We will run their dances with them and entertain them backstage until the show starts.
Here’s a quick look at what’s coming up at Open Arts
- March 18 – 11:30-12:30pm – Disney Rehearsal
- March 18 – 4:00-8:00pm – Kids Night Out
Ages 3+ – $10 per hour – Register Now
- April 1 – 11:30-12:30pm – Disney Rehearsal
- April 9-15 – SPRING BREAK – Studio Closed/No Classes
- April 29 – Picture Weekend
Times and Details on the Showcase Page
- May 6 – 11:30-12:30pm – Disney Rehearsal
- May 27 – Last Day of Classes
- May 30-June 1 – In-Studio Rehearsals
Times and Details on the Showcase Page
- June 2 – Dress Rehearsal at Page Auditorium
- June 3 – End of Year Showcase